Monday, June 1, 2009

UPDATED May Day...

"You always learn something new" is what was always told to me growing up. I never knew what may day was until it was all explained to me and researched a little deeper. I never thought there would be a meaning behind may day. For me, as may approaches I always think of school almost being done or just the sun coming out. But May day has a meaning. May day is a say of celebration for those who labor day to day. I found it hard to understand because what's the point in celebrating working? Are people actually happy working? But there was more to it. May Day is a day were people who labor under rough conditions fight to get a union and better wages or hours. I would agree that it is appropriate to fight for your needs but why fight May 1st and then go back to work the next day?

After school I was walking home and on 23rd street I saw people protesting there labor rights. There were a lot of mexicans protesting to get more pay and the benefits they need. There weren't as many as other protests in the city but there were police officers present. As I continued walking I saw two police officers joking about how the mexicans are wasting there time. I couldn't believe that they were mocking the mexicans. On my way home all I could think about was how they are innocent and didn't want anything else other than their rights and if they got that they were satisfied but these police officers truly are a disgrace.

No comments: